Senior Concept Artist
Mediatonic is a one of the UK's largest independent game developers with around 200 people across 6 locations worldwide. With incredibly diverse games, from top-grossing mobile titles, to hardcore PC simulators, from major IPs to completely original titles.
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry.
We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term.
We continue to build on our ambitions and projects, as such we are looking to hire a Senior Concept Artist to join our London Studio.
Working with the Lead Artist, Art Director, Creative Director and the wider Development Team, you will be solely, or as part of a collective of concept artists, responsible in helping establish, develop and maintain the artistic vision for our titles.
Through rapid visual conceptualisation, pre-production art specifically for others to follow to create art assets, creating final quality game assets and key art for in-game or external marketing - you will be highly competent in conceptualising unique and believable characters, creating breath-taking and intriguing worlds, and bringing life to our games through your ideas and artwork.
Key responsibilities include:
Concept Art - Set the style and define visuals of new titles in the studio. Working closely with our Studio Art Director, Concept Artists, Writers and Designers to help bring new worlds to life. Iterate on mood, setting and art style to find the perfect fit.
Production Art - Produce sketches, quick-paints and annotations to create briefs for Art Teams - to help them completely understand your work in order to correctly reproduce the style and bring them life.
Asset Production - Create in-game artwork and assets ranging from backgrounds and characters, to in-game objects and icons.
Pitch Concepts - Rapidly developing ideas and producing high quality, evocative artwork for new game concepts and project pitches within the studio. Supporting artwork for presentation slides to accompany the Key Art images.
A Senior Artist has an arsenal of direct experience they can call upon. They are highly professional and
proven experts in their field:
- Comprehensive portfolio showing varied concept examples.
- Presents a series of well thought through options through proper research, reference gathering, visual investigations and development
- Creates original high-quality roughs, block outs, in-game and promotional art that invoke distinct personality and a strong narrative
- Demonstrated solid understanding of lighting and some knowledge of post-processing techniques and lens effects
- Able to plan and direct reference shoots, location scouting, mood board gathering.
- Comfortable creating artwork in a range of styles
- Supports Leads and Principals with the creation of style guides and visual targets
- Follows and guides others on best practices
- Suggests and maintains pipelines, re-use, planning and optimisations
As a people first studio, our biggest priority is to hire the right person, a cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic with at least one member of our recruitment team. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job.