Senior Game Programmer
Mediatonic is a one of the UK's largest independent game developers with around 200 people across 6 locations worldwide. With incredibly diverse games, from top-grossing mobile titles, to hardcore PC simulators, from major IPs to completely original titles.
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry.
We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term.
We are looking for a senior game programmer to join our Mediatonic studio in Madrid to work in projects like Gears (of War) POP!, Yahtzee with Buddies, PC Building Simulator and more (cannot disclose here).
You are a senior game programmer with several titles under your belt, who likes challenges and has deep knowledge of at least one commercial engine (Unity preferably). You’d like to take an important part within a team where you’ll be planning and estimating features, leading a team by example, and of course, code!
We offer permanent contract, salary based on experience, a great working place and more perks and benefits.
What we are looking for
As a Senior Programmer you will be responsible for planning and implementing game features and tools, and help the production team to bring game concepts to life. You will be passionate about games and understand how to leverage technology to make the magic happen. You’ll have a comprehensive understanding of hardware and system limitations, and be prepared to think laterally about how to achieve awesome gameplay and visuals. Being part of a multi-discipline team we’ll also expect you to keep abreast of technologies outside your area, and encourage you to share your own expertise with the rest of the team.Key responsibilities:
- Interpreting design requirements as well as the studio's creative aspirations.
- Agree and implement strategy for project R&D, infrastructure, systems and features.
- Analysing technical capabilities and resourcing requirements.
- Helping identify and appoint new hires as well as develop team members.
- Collaborate on the roadmap and sprint planning, providing estimates and technical plans.
- Coordinate planning to ensure technology plans are robust and communicated to stakeholders, reporting progress both internally and externally.
- Mentoring team members, giving feedback, setting expectations and delegating.
- Collaborating with the engineering leadership team shaping best standards across the studio.
- Excellent programming skills in C# and / or C/C++, with an understanding and passion for readable, robust code and best practices.
- Previous commercial experience in a game studio and / or commercial experience working in a large development team.
- Familiarity with game engines like Unity (preferably) or Unreal.
- Strong understanding of game development tooling and processes, art workflow, performance optimization and memory management.
- Experience using source control systems such as Git, SVN or Perforce.
- Strong maths skills.
- A strong passion for making games.
- A good level of spoken and written English to communicate with our UK teams.
- Experience leading a project or mentoring a team.
- Programming for consoles including an understanding of TCRs/TRCs and the certification process.
- Experience with modern graphics programming, including Cg/HLSL and/or compute shaders, is a strong plus.
- Experience with mobile SDKs (Android & iOS) and frameworks.
- Understanding of client / server communication and data serialisation.
- Understanding of 2D and 3D animation principles.
- Experience with build scripts and systems i.e. Jenkins, Team City, Ant, Make etc...
- Experience using and scripting common art and 3D software packages (Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender...) is a plus.
What we offer
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Permanent contract, full-time job and employee benefits.
- Excellent local working conditions, great location in Madrid right next to Atocha station.
- Career-development opportunities. Periodic performance and salary reviews.
- An exceptional, dynamic, demanding and motivating working environment within a growing company.
- Personal development time for side-projects that are interesting to you.
- Free English classes to further improve your level.
- Free access to an online technical library.
- Company tech talks and events.
- Enjoy an awesome induction trip to our London office and meet the rest of the Mediatonic crew.
- Free coffee, weekly supply of juicy fruit, snacks and drinks.