As a VFX Artist at Mediatonic, you'll be responsible for bringing best-in-class VFX to our products. Your work will span a wide range of games and will require a broad palette of diverse styles. You will be expected to craft everything from 2D menu effects & animation through to 3D effects that (often literally) deliver explosive impact to our games. If you believe that great VFX are more than just an afterthought and you crave the opportunity to provide the original artistry for this essential part of the gameplay experience, then you could be the person we’re looking for!
Our work spans a broad range of styles, technology and platforms, from mobile to console. You'll be expected to:
- Design original and beautiful VFX that delight and surprise
- Understand the value that VFX components can add to all aspects of the gameplay experience
- Champion VFX, constantly looking for opportunities where they may enhance the game
- Ensure VFX support the user experience rather than distracting the player away from it
- Create bespoke, original styles of VFX to give each product unique character
- Troubleshoot and improve existing VFX
- Work with technical delivery teams to solve technical challenges that keep our VFX at the cutting edge
- Work with our world-class Production team to ensure VFX solutions can fit within budgets and schedules
Typically, you'll be working within one-or-more of our studio teams to lead the VFX design from the start to the end of a project.
- 2+ years commercial experience in the games industry working on VFX (ideally to include mobile)
- Advanced skills in games software such as Maya & games engines (ideally to include Unity)
- A strong portfolio of VFX work (ideally for mobile or console games)
- A passion for excellence in VFX creation
- In-depth knowledge of VFX principles
- Creative with excellent communication skills
- Exceptional eye for detail and quality
Mediatonic is a one of the UK's largest independent game makers with around 150 exceptionally talented and seriously hardworking people who devote their careers to crafting awesome original games. We produce around three new titles every year and deliver them to millions of players with backing from the UK’s top industry veterans and carefully selected partners.
You’ll find our games on Smartphones, Console and PC platforms being enjoyed by millions of people all over the world!
Working with us
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry. We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term. Working in an ambitious teams we strive to create an open, down-to-earth workplace.
Our studios are based in the heart of central London, Brighton and Madrid and all have their own games rooms and fully stocked fridge. You’ll find plenty of social events and activities during and outside of work time including game and pizza nights, game jams, tech talks, pub trips and office lunches.
Applying for this role
We receive thousands of applications every year. As a small recruitment team we try our very best to respond to everyone that applies but we don’t always get this right. We know how hard it is to find the right role and we’re very grateful for every application that we receive.
Here’s some advice when applying to Mediatonic…
A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about is essential to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic with at least one member of our recruitment team.