Senior Game Designer
Mediatonic is one of the UK's largest independent game developers with around 200 people across 6 locations worldwide. With incredibly diverse games, from top-grossing mobile titles, to hardcore PC simulators, from major IPs to completely original titles.Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry.We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term.In the coming years, we have plans to grow across all our studios/locations, in order to achieve this we are looking to hire a Senior Game Designer to join our team in London.
As a Senior Designer on Mediatonic’s Yahtzee team you’ll take responsibility for major features; new game modes designed to engage and excite our huge player-base and push the performance of one of the world’s most-played and most-successful free-to-play games. Working closely with the Lead Designer to agree on a vision, and then delivering on that vision with the other designers on your team.
You manage focused prototypes to prove out initial ideas, and hold responsibility alongside the lead for selling-in and setting the standard and creative vision for each feature.
You are in regular contact with internal and external stakeholders on design matters, stepping in for the Lead when absent. You are able to not just sell your ideas, but articulately defend and justify your decisions during development
You review the work of regular and junior designers you have responsibility for the quality of their output, steering and growing their own development whilst ensuring the project remains on track. You will make project critical decisions in the absence of the lead and forge strong relationships with other senior and discipline leads.
You review data derived from economic and gameplay models and use this to inform high-level decisions and priorities for the project. You lead brainstorms and ideation within the team, and ensure the best possible ideas are stress-tested and realised in-game.
You are a right-hand-person for the design Lead, trusted, skilled, and with a huge measure of passion and responsibility on the project.
You’ll be able to take ownership on key aspects of a project and, with a team of designers, deliver on the lead's vision and be:
- Be comfortable running creative and iterative processes on features alongside a lead to find-the-fun in new features
- Support the lead in delivering on prototype and other milestone goals
- Offer clear direction and solutions during these processes, justifying your decisions to the lead and wider internal and external teams
- Deliver major aspects of a game to the best of our initial vision and expected quality
- Feedback on high level overviews of new feature designs and concepts, use your experience to steer early ideas in the best direction
- Identify and prioritize required feature specifications for more junior designers
- Set the standard for these specs, and review and sign off on all specifications from junior team members
- Manage regular internal testing sessions on projects, both within the team and across the wider studio
- Attend regular publisher meetings alongside the lead, and handle these interactions professionally in the absence of the lead
- Support the junior designers on your team, managing their responsibilities to ensure they are able to develop essential skills, teaching by both mentoring and ensuring your work is exemplary
We are seeking an experienced game designer who can jump in and immediately get their hands dirty. Ideally, you should have:
- 4+ years game design experience within a studio environment (with at least 3+ years focused on Free-to-Play development)
- Exceptional understanding of game structure and systems
- Exceptional ability to produce clear and workable documentation
- Wide knowledge base of past and present games, across all genres
- Comfortable working closely with others and looking after creative teams
It is important to note that this role will predominantly focus on free to play titles – and it is vital that you have a clear passion, understanding, and experience in developing free-to-play games.
Are you interested in creating moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years? Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal of making great games appeal to you? Did we mention our out of control but totally cool sticker obsession?
How to apply & really impress us As a people first studio, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job.