As Game Art Lead you are responsible for visually establishing, developing and maintaining the game artistic style and visual quality. A great Game Art Lead steers the project through strength of idea and a commitment to the quality of the vision. You are a master of the creative process with a good head for game design and an ability to rationalise creative endeavour against production needs/timelines - ensuring the right tasks are tackled in the right order that will best lead to success. You will foster good working practices and a positive working environment within your team. You will assist Craft Art Leads and sometimes directly line-manage members of the art team, ensuring they are best capable of fulfilling their commitments and are suitably informed through regular interaction and excellent documentation.
You will use your considerable expertise and experience to guide the wider art team to develop a strong visual identity during pre-production, answering the game design and business ambitions. You will work with the Studio Art Director in establishing a game’s art direction and steward the vision through development stages, marketing art and live operations via Style Guides, in-depth documentation and ongoing communication.
You will assist the Production Team/Leads in scheduling sprints and/or entire projects. You will continually look for opportunities to innovate and improve the visual quality and game play experience - collaborating/pushing/leading artists - and all game team disciplines where necessary - to ensure the project delivers an exemplary and memorable game vision that captures and delights our players.
You will identify and raise any risks or issues as you find them to the Leads/Studio Art Director or Leadership Team. You will represent the Game Art Team and Game Vision internally and externally as needed.
- A comprehensive portfolio showing wonderful examples of your craft in different styles
- Experience leading a project or mentoring a team
- Experience in estimating/scheduling (ideally within an agile environment)
- Excellent organisational mind
- Skilled in one or more of the craft areas - knowledgeable in all
- Excellent communication skills and a positive demeanour
- Ability to understand business and product needs and ability to decipher and adhere to existing IP styles
- Excellent sensitivity and understanding of game narrative
- Able to ideate and empathise with player personas
- Able to propose art styles that suit the game narrative and design, stretch the technology and appeal to the target audience
- Experience on multiple games and ability to work across varied art styles
- Keeps up to date with visual trends in entertainment - able to reference popular and obscure cultural IP...not just games
Desirable skills / experience:
- Industry experience at multiple game/entertainment studios an advantage
- Experience building teams an advantage
- Experience with outsourced art and external contract support an advantage
- Previous experience of managing relationships with external partners
- Experience on a successful free-to-play mobile game
Mediatonic is a one of the UK's largest independent game makers with around 150 exceptionally talented and seriously hardworking people who devote their careers to crafting awesome original games. We produce around three new titles every year and deliver them to millions of players with backing from the UK’s top industry veterans and carefully selected partners.
You’ll find our games on Smartphones, Console and PC platforms being enjoyed by millions of people all over the world!
Working with us
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry. We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term. Working in an ambitious teams we strive to create an open, down-to-earth workplace.
Our studios are based in the heart of central London, Brighton and Madrid and all have their own games rooms and fully stocked fridge. You’ll find plenty of social events and activities during and outside of work time including game and pizza nights, game jams, tech talks, pub trips and office lunches.
Applying for this role
We receive thousands of applications every year. As a small recruitment team we try our very best to respond to everyone that applies but we don’t always get this right. We know how hard it is to find the right role and we’re very grateful for every application that we receive.
Here’s some advice when applying to Mediatonic…
A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about is essential to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic with at least one member of our recruitment team.