Mediatonic is one of the UK's largest independent game developers with 200 people across multiple locatio rossing mobile titles, to hardcore PC simulators, from major IPs to completely original titles, we're constantly interrogating spaces of play to push the boundaries of fun
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry.
We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term.
We continue to build on our ambitions and projects, as such we are looking to hire a Lead Artist to join our London Studio.
As Game Art Lead you are responsible for visually establishing, developing and maintaining the game artistic style and visual quality. A great Game Art Lead steers the project through strength of idea and a commitment to the quality of the vision. You are a master of the creative process with a good head for game design and an ability to rationalise creative endeavour against production needs/timelines - ensuring the right tasks are tackled in the right order that will best lead to success. You will foster good working practices and a positive working environment within your team. You will assist Craft Art Leads and sometimes directly line-manage members of the art team, ensuring they are best capable of fulfilling their commitments and are suitably informed through regular interaction and excellent documentation.
You will use your considerable expertise and experience to guide the wider art team to develop a strong visual identity during pre-production, answering the game design and business ambitions. You will work with the Studio Art Director in establishing a game’s art direction and steward the vision through development stages, marketing art and live operations via Style Guides, in-depth documentation and ongoing communication.
You will assist the Production Team/Leads in scheduling sprints and/or entire projects. You will continually look for opportunities to innovate and improve the visual quality and game play experience - collaborating/pushing/leading artists - and all game team disciplines where necessary - to ensure the project delivers an exemplary and memorable game vision that captures and delights our players.
You will identify and raise any risks or issues as you find them to the Leads/Studio Art Director or Leadership Team. You will represent the Game Art Team and Game Vision internally and externally as needed.
- A comprehensive portfolio showing wonderful examples of your craft in different styles
- Experience leading a project or mentoring a team
- Experience in estimating/scheduling (ideally within an agile environment)
- Excellent organisational mind
- Skilled in one or more of the craft areas - knowledgeable in all
- Excellent communication skills and a positive demeanour
- Ability to understand business and product needs and ability to decipher and adhere to existing IP styles
- Excellent sensitivity and understanding of game narrative
- Able to ideate and empathise with player personas
- Able to propose art styles that suit the game narrative and design, stretch the technology and appeal to the target audience
- Experience on multiple games and ability to work across varied art styles
- Keeps up to date with visual trends in entertainment - able to reference popular and obscure cultural IP...not just games
Desirable skills / experience:
- Industry experience at multiple game/entertainment studios an advantage
- Experience building teams an advantage
- Experience with outsourced art and external contract support an advantage
- Previous experience of managing relationships with external partners
- Experience on a successful free-to-play mobile game
Are you interested in creating moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years? Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal of making great games appeal to you? Did we mention our out of control but totally cool sticker obsession?
How to apply & really impress us As a people first studio, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job.
We receive heaploads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.