We're looking for a programmer with graphics and rendering expertise who enjoys working with Tech Artists and the Art team primarily on visual challenges but also willing to collaborate and work on a mix of programming challenges.
- Research, formulate and implement rendering and other techniques to realise artists creative vision in-game
- Collaborate with artists, technical artists and engineers, agreeing approaches and work split
- Assist the artists with the creation of best-in- class environments and visual effects within technical requirements
- Ensure techniques and implementations achieve optimal results for mobile and console, perform well and meet the projects engineering standards
- Profile, maintain and optimise rendering, pipelines, lighting and shading components of a game
- Develop core rendering tools, feature and engine components to required coding standards
- Assist in ensuring art pipelines and asset sets are scalable and account for production and live ops constraints
- Identify technical and developmental risks/obstacles and generate solutions to overcome identified risks
- Responsible for performance of features on multiple platforms
- Ability and interest in a variety of graphics related challenges, wearing multiple hats and coordinating and collaborating in a smaller team
- 2+ years of programming experience on graphics programming
- Shipped one or more AAA game titles and experience of mobile and multi-platform projects
- Background in rendering with experience that may include shaders, animation, skinning, lighting, post-processing, special effects and tool development
- Strong maths skills and experience with modern graphics programming, including Cg/HLSL and/or compute shaders
- Programming skills in C# and / or C++, with an understanding and passion for readable, robust code and best practices
- Understanding of performance considerations, memory management, multiple processor use, and runtime optimisation
- Experience with Unity3D or other 3D game engines and art tooling, e.g. Maya, Zbrush, Blender
- Ability to test, debug, and extend other Engineers code
- A strong passion for making games
Mediatonic is a one of the UK's largest independent game makers with around 150 exceptionally talented and seriously hardworking people who devote their careers to crafting awesome original games. We produce around three new titles every year and deliver them to millions of players with backing from the UK’s top industry veterans and carefully selected partners. You’ll find our games on Smartphones, Console and PC platforms being enjoyed by millions of people all over the world!
Working with us
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry. We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term. Working in an ambitious teams we strive to create an open, down-to-earth workplace.
Our studios are based in the heart of central London, Brighton and Madrid and all have their own games rooms and fully stocked fridge. You’ll find plenty of social events and activities during and outside of work time including game and pizza nights, game jams, tech talks, pub trips and office lunches.
Applying for this role
We receive thousands of applications every year. As a small recruitment team we try our very best to respond to everyone that applies but we don’t always get this right. We know how hard it is to find the right role and we’re very grateful for every application that we receive.
Here’s some advice when applying to Mediatonic…
A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about is essential to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic with at least one member of our recruitment team.