Working closely with Game Design, Product Managers, UI Designers, Art Leads and Play-testers, the UX Designer is responsible for creating and stress testing interactive design solutions that feature: intuitive use, best-in-class interaction design, innovative and optimal user experience - ready for the UI Art team to skin and the Engineers to implement.
This includes all phases of the design process: strategic planning, conceptual development, interactive prototyping and ensuring the final execution and final implementation adheres to the established UX ethos.
Our work spans a broad range of styles, technology and platforms, from mobile to console. You'll be expected to:
- Design original and beautiful user-interfaces
- Illustrate UI components such as icons and assets
- Ensure players have the information they need at precisely the right time
- Contribute to concepts and pitches
- Troubleshoot live products and design enhancements to reduce friction for users
- Work with technical delivery teams to solve technical and logistical issues with UI
- Drive UX excellence for the games we develop
- Lead UX meetings and workshops to capture business requirements
- Facilitate focus groups to determine player needs
- Undertake competitor UX research, heuristic evaluations on internal and competitor UX, expert UX reviews and audits
- Create personas, user journeys and experience maps
- Translate design documents and/or creative conversations into UX actions
- Design information architecture, site maps, app maps etc
- Propose a range of creative conceptual ideas for UX
- Create sketches and storyboards to visualise UX solutions
- Execute detailed wireframes and create prototypes
- Validate ideas and designs through user testing
- Collaborate with artists and engineers to translate UX designs into wonderful experiences
- Advanced skills in design software such as Photoshop & Illustrator
- A strong portfolio of User Interface and Application designs (ideally for mobile or console games)
- In-depth knowledge of UI and UX principles
- Creative leader with excellent communication skills
- Exceptional eye for detail and quality
- Experience with creating and delivering user experience projects
- Experience contributing to proposals in ideation and concept design
- A good working knowledge of wireframing tools
- Experience in prototyping tools
- A proactive, can-do attitude An enthusiastic and demonstrable understanding of the science of User Experience and User Centred Design
- Well versed in user experience methodologies and their applications
- An understanding of visual syntax - colour, shape, placement, motion, behaviours, etc
- An understanding of mobile gaming challenges and can identify best-in-class UX examples
- Ability to articulate the work - verbal, written, and visual presentation skills
Mediatonic is a one of the UK's largest independent game makers with around 150 exceptionally talented and seriously hardworking people who devote their careers to crafting awesome original games. We produce around three new titles every year and deliver them to millions of players with backing from the UK’s top industry veterans and carefully selected partners.
You’ll find our games on Smartphones, Console and PC platforms being enjoyed by millions of people all over the world!
Working with us
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry. We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term. Working in an ambitious teams we strive to create an open, down-to-earth workplace.
Our studios are based in the heart of central London, Brighton and Madrid and all have their own games rooms and fully stocked fridge. You’ll find plenty of social events and activities during and outside of work time including game and pizza nights, game jams, tech talks, pub trips and office lunches.
Applying for this role
We receive thousands of applications every year. As a small recruitment team we try our very best to respond to everyone that applies but we don’t always get this right. We know how hard it is to find the right role and we’re very grateful for every application that we receive.
Here’s some advice when applying to Mediatonic…
A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about is essential to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Candidates will most often be assessed on the strength of their portfolio and previous work so make sure you provide links and examples wherever you can. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic with at least one member of our recruitment team.