Game Play Server Side Engineer
We are looking for experienced server engineers to join our team help us build server technologies that power games played by millions of people all around the world.
Our experienced team creates highly scalable and resilient backend services built on cloud infrastructure. We take a huge amount of pride in what we do, focusing on technical quality and leveraging some of the latest technology and techniques.
We’re always looking to solve new technical challenges, whether it be real-time multiplayer on mobile or creating industry-leading tools that enable teams to continuously tune and update live games.
We value the ability to write reliable software and solve difficult problems over experience with a particular language so consider any background and can train you up in our stack. Primarily we develop microservices in dotnet core running on Docker containers on Linux managed with Kubernetes.
- Design, implement, deploy and manage scalable and high-availability backend services
- Collaborate closely with client-side engineering team and game designers to plan game features
- Contribute to the full game development lifecycle from design, planning, implementation, deployment and live operations
- Troubleshoot and optimise live systems
- Explore and learning new technologies, and contributing to studio-wide best practises
We have intermediate and senior positions available for applicants with the following core abilities:
- Highly proficient with C# .NET, or equivalent such as PHP, Java, C++ or Python with an interest of working in the modern dotnet core ecosystem
- Experience developing online games, apps, websites or other online services
- An understanding of cloud computing and scalable software
- Familiarity with good development practices (source control, automated testing)
- Passion; for gaming or online services in general. We're looking for someone who genuinely cares about the quality of the work they produce.
These skills are a plus but not required:
- Knowledge of Redis, Azure Document, AWS DynamoDB, SQL or Elasticsearch.
- Experience building and deploying applications to the Microsoft Azure or AWS platforms
- An understanding of the techniques used for building high performance, scalable software
- Familiarity with continuous integration and automated build procedures
- Knowledge of Unity, C++, Android or iPhone development
Mediatonic is a one of the UK's largest independent game makers with around 150 exceptionally talented and seriously hardworking people who devote their careers to crafting awesome original games. We produce around three new titles every year and deliver them to millions of players with backing from the UK’s top industry veterans and carefully selected partners.
You’ll find our games on Smartphones, Console and PC platforms being enjoyed by millions of people all over the world!
Working with us
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry. We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term. Working in an ambitious teams we strive to create an open, down-to-earth workplace.
Our studios are based in the heart of central London, Brighton and Madrid and all have their own games rooms and fully stocked fridge. You’ll find plenty of social events and activities during and outside of work time including game and pizza nights, game jams, tech talks, pub trips and office lunches.
Applying for this role
We receive thousands of applications every year. As a small recruitment team we try our very best to respond to everyone that applies but we don’t always get this right. We know how hard it is to find the right role and we’re very grateful for every application that we receive.
Here’s some advice when applying to Mediatonic…
A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about is essential to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic with at least one member of our recruitment team.