We are looking for a game programmer to join our Mediatonic studio in Madrid to work in projects like Gears (of War) POP!, Yahtzee with Buddies, PC Building Simulator and more (cannot disclose here).
You are a game programmer with Unity experience, and would like to work on a variety of platforms including mobile, consoles and PC/Steam.
We offer permanent contract, salary based on experience, a great working place and more perks and benefits.
- Excellent programming skills in C# and / or C++, with a deep understanding of OOP and coding best practices.
- At least one commercial game title under your belt.
- Familiarity with game engines like Unity (preferably) or Unreal.
- Experience using source control systems such as Git, SVN or Perforce.
- A strong level of spoken and written English to communicate with our UK teams.
- Experience with mobile SDKs (Android & iOS).
- A clear understanding of the particular challenges in game development, such as art workflow, performance optimisations, memory management and supporting multiple platforms.
- Understanding of client / server communication and data serialisation.
- Understanding of 2D and 3D animation principles.
- Experience with modern graphics programming, including Cg/HLSL and/or compute shaders, is a strong plus.
- Experience with build scripts and systems (i.e. Jenkins, TeamCity, Ant, Make, etc).
- Experience using and scripting common art and 3D software packages (Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender...) is a plus.
What we offer
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Permanent contract, full-time job and employee benefits.
- Excellent local working conditions, great location in Madrid right next to Atocha station.
- Career-development opportunities. Periodic performance and salary reviews.
- An exceptional, dynamic, demanding and motivating working environment within a growing company.
- Personal development time for side-projects that are interesting to you.
- Free English classes to further improve your level.
- Free access to an online technical library.
- Company tech talks and events.
- Enjoy an awesome induction trip to our London office and meet the rest of the Mediatonic crew.
- Free coffee, weekly supply of juicy fruit, snacks and drinks.
Working at Mediatonic
Just so you have an idea of what it is like to work with us…
We like Agile and usually do Scrum. We are used to planning ahead and have a clear view of milestones. We tend do two week sprints and always like to have a short daily standup for all the team to attend. Sprint plannings, backlog assignments, retrospectives… that’s the usual deal.
We work in small and ambitious teams, and we strive for minimal hierarchy. Our philosophy is open and informal whilst also being really hard-working. You’ll be the real lead of your own tasks, but you will always have the support of your teammates. We encourage people to share their questions and expertise.
We are software agnostic, but our current standard is to use, amongst other things, Unity and Git. And we like peer review! All our engineering work is committed after your own teammates go through your pull requests and validate them.
We want you to meet your fellow colleagues working in London and/or Brighton. We will probably set up a trip for you to go there and get to know the rest of the Mediatonic crew in person. It’s really fun. Really.
We spend lunchtimes playing on our Nintendo Switch, PS4 or on our awesome arcade machine, or maybe enjoying a role playing session... We also like to get together from time to time. Sometimes it’s just a beer after work, but we also organise bigger stuff like monthly team lunches and company-wide events such as gamejams or bi-annual parties.
We share what we do with the rest of the company. We are as transparent and communicative as possible when it comes to the projects updates and the company roadmaps and plans.
Gifs everywhere! You can tell that it’s Mediatonic if it has a catchy gif attached.
- The pretty impressive corporate info:
Mediatonic is a leading independent developer, focused on building and operating live games. We’ve been in business for 14 years and with a development team of over 170 people, we’re one of the largest independent studios in the UK and Spain.
With studios in London, Brighton and Madrid, we’re committed to developing best in class titles that entertain millions of players.
We have a long history of successes and we are currently developing video games with world renowned IPs such as Gears of War or Fable, massively successful games like Yahtzee with Buddies and surprisingly fresh titles including PC Building Simulator. We work along some of the most important partners in the video games industry like Microsoft, Nintendo, Scopely, Devolver Digital or Square Enix amongst many others.
- A few other things that you probably really want to know:
The secret ingredient for our success is… people. We value the people we employ above everything else and we want them to feel like they are the most important part of Mediatonic. That’s why we take special care in both bringing onboard talented individuals and go the extra mile trying to have them feel comfortable and cared for.
Reasonable working hours, several employee benefits, permanent contracts, competitive salaries, company events and parties... We aim to have the most fun possible creating great games with really talented people around so that everyone can learn from each other.
We love making games. We enjoy working on different platforms and genres and we take pride in always going for the highest quality. We believe that committing to excellence and putting our passion into what we create will give us an extra advantage when releasing a game to the public.
We usually have several projects running at different stages of development at the same time. From live operations and adding new features to already launched titles to prototyping or full-on production on others… There are lots of exciting things happening at Mediatonic right now.